28 Old Wives Tales for baby gender prediction

Image: Dreamstime

One of the only times that a secret can truly remain a secret (if you choose) is while your are pregnant. So guessing the sex of your baby by comparing your signs and symptoms to the various Old Wives Tales you read can be fun. There’s a 50/50 chance you will be right.

#1. If you are moody, you are having a girl because of all the extra female hormones.
#2. It’s a girl if your left breast is larger than your right breast. It’s a boy if your right breast is larger than your left breast.
#3. Dark nipples are signs of a son.
#4. If you eat garlic and the odor seeps out of your pores, then you’re having a boy.
#5. If your urine is bright yellow, it’s a boy. A dull yellow means a girl.
#6. If you experience heartburn or indigestion during pregnancy your baby will have a full head of hair.
#7. No morning sickness, it’s a boy.  A girl if you were sick or nauseous during your pregnancy.
#8. A heart rate over 140 beats per minute(bpm), it’s a girl. A boy’s heart beat is slower.
#9. If you crave salty foods it’s a boy. If you crave sweets then it’s a girl.
#10. If you eat the ends of bread, it’s a boy. If you eat the middle of the load, it’s a girl.
#11. If dad gains weight, it’s a girl. If his weight stays the same, it’s a boy.
#12. It’s a girl if you get acne due to the increased levels of the female charged hormones. A girl steals her mother’s beauty.

#13. If the linea nigra stops at the belly button, it’s a girl. If the linea nigra goes all the way to the bottom of the rib cage, it’s a boy.

#14. You got dry hands; it’s a boy.
#15. More hair on your legs than normal, count on a boy.
#16. If your nose gets bigger and wider, expect a boy.
#17. If your nose swells, it’s a girl. Same pre-pregnancy nose, it’s a boy.
#18. If your face swells and gets rounder, it’s a girl. Long and narrow face, a boy.
#19. Cold feet, a boy
#20. If your legs get really big, means a boy. If your legs stay in shape and lean, a girl.
#21. If you find yourself clumsier with pregnancy, it’s a boy.
#22. If you remain grounded and still in control of your body, it’s a girl.
#23. If you’re carrying low, it’s a boy. If you’re carrying high, it’s a girl.

#24. If you’re carrying in front, it’s a boy. All around your middle, it’s a girl.

Some fun tests

#25. Loop your wedding ring in a piece of thread and let it dangle over your belly. If the rings swings in a back and forth motion, it’s a girl. If the ring moves in a circular motion, paint the room blue.

#26. If you hold a necklace over your hand and it swings back and forth, it’s a boy. A circular moving necklace, stock up on the pink.

#27. When asked to show your hands and you immediately show your palm, it’s a girl. Palm down = a boy.

#28. If a toddler shows interest in you, you are having the opposite sex of the toddler. For example, a girl toddler expresses interest in you means you are having a boy.

How many of these rang true for you?

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

6 and 7 were true for me. 6 definitely with Byshop. SOOO much heartburn and a full head of hair he came with lol. I didn’t have morning sickness too bad with either of them and 2 boys!

1 was also true I guess cause pregnancy didn’t make me too crazy :p

2. hahaha, yeah I wasn’t too crazy either and I had a boy. Most rang true for me except the heart rate (his was fast) and my husband gained some weight (predicts a girl) but we had a precious sweet boy.
    Thanks for stopping by.

3. Kerry Jane says:

Lovely blog, i’m your newest follower.
    My site is

If you’d like to follow me back
    Kerry

4. Heheheh, too funny :) Although, I had a lot of heart burn and both my girls were born with hair, so maybe it’s all true!!! :D Thank you for sharing and for following my blog!

5. oh my gosh,,, people do say and thin k the strangest things to pregnant women…and they all want to touch their belly too!

6. Meredith says:

My sister had some crazy thing she did with a string, toothpick and your wrist–I was too scared to try it because I didn’t want to know!

7. Iva Grbesic says:

I think I’ve heard all of them, having four children people just tell you everything! I am your latest follower from the Tuesday Hop. I would appreciate a follow back. Please visit when you have a chance.

One Chic Mom

8. Emily Sung says:

I’ve heard of these throughout the years. I can’t say any were true for me but they’re fun to try when you’re expecting.

New follower from the Get Connected Hop! Please stop by http://birthofamom.blogspot.com and I hope you’ll follow back!

9. You are definitely One Chic Mom. Thanks for the ideas and follow. I gotcha back.

10. Visiting from Exposure 99% weekday hop. Please follow me back at http://www.myrafrancis.blogspot.com!

I had a boy AND a girl when I was pregnant and was so amazed that people were so sure it was one or the other depending on various old wives tales.

11. Emily Brewer says:

I’ve heard these throughout the years too. Every one thought my oldest daughter was going to be a boy. All of these things pointed to it, but I have a beautiful daughter instead!

I just started following you. http://myinspiredlifewithfibromyalgia.blogspot.com/

12. all the ones for boys didn’t work for me because I had 3 girls with no morning sickness..lol…although before I found out I was pregnant the first time and couple toddlers tried to do hand stands next to me and an older lady told me that was an old wives tale that meant I was pregnant…turned out to be true :)

13. I’ve never heard the hand stand tale. Noted. Congratulations on 3 girls. Lots of chatter going on in your home, lol

14. sania julley says:

pregnancy is part of life while girls always deserve for something good for health click here and during pregnancy and few month ago i was got pregnancy, got many test of blood and other all that is fine anyway congratulations for it.

• Emma says:

Although before I found out I was pregnant the first time and couple toddlers tried to do hand stands next to me and an older lady told me that was an old wives tale that meant I was pregnant…turned out to be true.So please avoid to Gastric problems.

15. Anonymous says:

Alot of these were true for me it points to girl but the funny thing is ultrasound says boy my husband and i do not belevie it,we have six kids and with our four boys i was very sick and loss alot of weight but with my two girls i did not get sick and i wanted sweets all the time and it is the same thing with this one i feel in my heart this is a girl but not just becouse i want one but just from how each of my pregancy was, and also before i read these wise tails my husband and i came up girl names fast but for aboy we were at a loss.so i guess we will see who is right i have less than four weeks to go.oh by the way chinese birth chart says iam having a girl.

16. Pary Moppins says:

We had an Italian fried who did the necklace trick over my wrist and predicted a girl. She was right.

17. Sandra says:

It could be based on your local tradition, as in the case of India where high dowries are demand from would be brides, is why Indian parents prefer boys to girls. Or because of the tradition of family names being carried forward by boys whiles girls are married out to other families.How To Know Baby Gender

18. Maria Iemma says:

Most of us may not believe in these old wives tales but they are really a lot of fun. We played a game with scissors under a chair when I was pregnant with my son! So entertaining.

19. Fatima says:

Chinese chart says i m hving baby girl but according to old wives tales i m hving baby boy mist of prediction r true for me.a contrdiction between pld wives n chinese predectir chart