In one of my older posts, Staycation cook off, Bring on the recipes I decided that I needed to experiment more with certain foods. Since beans are part of mine and the hubbies ancestral foods it was a no brainer to learn more about the black bean.
The beauty of the black bean is that when it’s combined with a whole grain it becomes a protein source comparable to a meat protein, bonus. Another bonus is that they are a great source of fiber.
I combined a few recipes I researched and decided to venture out to create something of my own and BAM!!!
Black bean brownies
- 2 cups cooked black beans (if using raw black beans, soak them overnight in water)
- 10 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder (if you like the dark chocolate taste use carob)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a food processor combine the black beans, dates, peanut butter, vanilla and water until smooth.
- Add cocoa or carob powder and ground flax seed to the mixture and pulse the food processor a few more times.
- Lightly oil the 13×9 cake pan (can use smaller one if you choose)
- Spread the mixture evenly in the cake pan. Choose desired width.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
The taste test passed by hubby and the family when I brought these over to an extended family dinner.
STAY IN THE LOOP WITH MORE TIPS ON KEEPING THE FAMILY, HOUSEHOLD AND YOURSELF HEALTHY, HAPPY AND SANE!
I love hearing your thoughts, let me know in the comments below.